The ASN Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships fund outstanding research projects proposed and conducted by ASN members enrolled in a United States graduate program in nutrition. Fellowship grants range from $2,000 to $5,000. The funds can also be used to support tuition, room/board, books, travel/registration to scientific meetings, research project support, and/or indirect charges (overhead). In reviewing applications, the review committee will evaluate significance, feasibility, communication and clarity, as well as overall scientific technical quality of the proposed research project.
The 2020 fellowships include the Mars Inc. Predoctoral Fellowship and The Gerber Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship.
Click here to download a PDF detailing ASN Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship Eligibility and Guidelines.
The deadline for applications is March 1, 2020.
- Be an ASN member residing in the United States
- Be enrolled in a United States graduate program in nutrition
Click here for the ASN Directory of Graduate Programs in the Nutrition Sciences.
Application Guidelines and Instructions
All applications must be submitted via the ASN Foundation Application Portal. The following information will be required during the application process.
- Applicant information
- Contact information
- ASN membership status
- Date current graduate work began
- Degree and date expected (e.g. PhD, Nutritional Sciences, 2021)
- Faculty advisor and program director contact information
- Application information
- Proposed research project information:
- Proposed research project title (150 character limit without spaces)
- Proposed research project date (Fall 2020 or Spring 2021)
- Statement: Statement written for a non-scientific audience, explaining the contribution of the proposed research to knowledge in nutrition. Tables, images and/or graphs should not be included or referenced in the Statement. (3,500 character limit without spaces, approximately one single-spaced typewritten page)
- Summary: Summary of your proposed research project including objective, experimental approach and selected references. Up to 4 tables, images and/or graphs can be included to supplement the Summary. Tables, images and/or graphs (uploaded as image files in .jpg, .png, .gif or .bmp format) will appear separate from and following the Summary text. (14,000 character limit without spaces, approximately four single-spaced typewritten pages)
- Required upload
- Completed certification form (to be signed by applicant, faculty advisor, and program director)