Early Career Nutrition (ECN) Interest Group
ASN’s Early Career Nutrition (ECN) Interest Group serves as a conduit of information and opportunities from ASN and the nutrition community at-large to more than 900 Early Career members.
Feel free to contact Dr. Sahar Ajabshir, Chair, with questions.
ECN Interest Group Executive Committee Members 2020-2021
Sahar Ajabshir, PhD, Chair
Nadeeja Wijayatunga, PhD, Vice Chair
Sabrina Sales Martinez, PhD, RDN, Past-Chair
Julie Patterson, PhD, MBA, RDN, LDN, CD, Secretary
Dylan Bailey, MS, Social Media Chair
Nika Larian, PhD, Social Media Chair
Lexi L. MacMillan Uribe, PhD, RDN, Events Chair
Jill Joyce, PhD, RD, Events Chair
Nadine Mikati, PhD, RDN, LD, Awards Chair
Nicole Delimont, PhD, APRN, NP-C, Awards Chair
Bridget Stroup, PhD, RDN, Awards Chair
Liliana Aguayo, PhD, MPH, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Chair
Kristen Hicks-Roof, PhD, RDN, LDN, FAND, Nominations Chair
Melissa Fuster, PhD, Nominations Chair
Joseph Kindler, PhD, Fundraising Chair
Katherine Balantekin, PhD, RD, At-Large Delegate
Joanna K. Hodges, PhD, At-Large Delegate
Nana Gletsu-Miller, PhD, Advisor
Simin Meydani, DVM, PhD, Advisor
Martha Belury, PhD, NSC Chair, ASN Board Liason
Stay on top of updates from ECN in ASN NutriLink!
Connect with ECN Interest Group
Thank You, 2017 Sponsors
DuPoint Nutrition and Health
Postdoctoral Research Award
This awards program challenges early-career scientists and clinicians in nutrition by providing a juried abstract review and special oral session in which they compete in presenting their research findings. The award, which was established in 2011, is endowed by DuPont Nutrition & Health.
The competition is organized by ASN’s Early Career Nutrition Interest Group (ECN Interest Group). Download the overview and instructions for participation in the competition that was held at Nutrition 2018 in Boston, MA. Check back regularly for updates regarding award deadlines for Nutrition 2019.
Prior grand prize recipients are:
- 2018: Jane Naberhuis, USDA/ARS Children’s Nutrition Research Center, Baylor College of Medicine, “Prematurity Alters the Protein Synthetic Response of Skeletal Muscle to Feeding by Blunting Insulin-induced Translation Initiation in Neonatal Piglets”
- 2017: Jason L. Robinson, Baylor College of Medicine, “Diminished Citrulline – Arginine – Nitric Oxide Production Rates are Associated with Necrotizing Enterocolitis Incidence in Premature Pigs”
- 2016: Young Ah Seo, Harvard University, “Trace element distribution in flatiron mice, a genetic model of human ferroportin disease”
- 2015: Hannah Holscher, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
“Diet Influences the Oral Microbiota of Infants during the First Six Months of Life”
- 2014: Sharmeel Khaira, Tufts Medical Center
“Expressed breast milk analysis: an innovative tool in optimizing protein energy ratio and avoiding protein deficit after preterm birth”
- 2013: Eunice Mah, Ohio State University
“gamma-Tocopherol additionally improves vascular endothelial function following smoking cessation by decreasing pro-inflammatory responses”
- 2012: Karen Corbin, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
“Genotype-based hierarchical clustering reveals a panel of polymorphisms in one carbon metabolism that are associated with obesity”
- 2011: Nancy Engelmann Moran, Ohio State University Medical Center, “Lycopene and phytoene are differentially absorbed and biodistributed in the Mongolian gerbil (Meriones unguiculatus) from tomato powder and purified doses”
Contact Melanie Dair, ASN Member Services Associate, with any questions regarding this program.
Questions about Membership?
Email us at email@example.com for outstanding questions about membership (including problems logging in or receiving e-newsletters) or problems paying your dues.