Editor-in-Chief, Advances in Nutrition (AN)
The Editor-in-Chief is the public voice and ambassador for the journal, providing vision and leading a team of Associate Editors and an Editorial Board in attracting high-quality manuscript submissions and conducting peer review of manuscripts submitted for publication. Working with the ASN Publications Committee and the Society’s publisher, the Editor-in-Chief is expected to provide innovative leadership in the evolving area of scientific communication while fulfilling best publishing practices that advance the journal. The Editor-in-Chief is expected to serve in the position for an initial five-year term, with potential renewal for an additional five-year term. This is a part time, contract position.
In consultation with the ASN Publications Committee:
- Increase the journal’s impact as a leading review journal in the field of nutrition science and continue to evolve editorial policies and standards, ensuring the highest-quality and most relevant science is published in the journal
- Promote and uphold best practices in publishing ethics and research reporting, including those set forth by the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) and policies set by ASN and the publisher
- Act as ambassador of the Journal to the international author/editor/reviewer/member communities interested in nutrition science and attend ASN annual meetings
- Work with ASN staff and fellow Editors-in-Chief to continually improve processes for submission and peer review
- Keep abreast of and work to improve Journal metrics, including time to first decision, review time, revision time, articles published, rejection rate, Impact Factor, and other quantitative and qualitative measures deemed appropriate by the ASN Board of Directors
- Solicit high-quality manuscripts from potential authors
- Nominate Associate Editors and Editorial Board members; assign their responsibilities; and monitor their activities and productivity
- Identify and implement strategies to ensure diversity, equity, and inclusion among Associate Editors, Editorial Board members, authors, and reviewers
- Lead annual meetings of the Editorial Board and Associate Editors and maintain regular communications with Associate Editors on matters related to editorial policies, the composition of the editorial board, editorial peer review, and, as needed, other issues of importance to the journal and scientific publishing
- Ensure a sufficient pool of expert reviewers to reach conclusions and make decisions on manuscripts in a timely manner
- Approve proposals for publication of supplements (with Associate Editors) and appoint guest editors
- Work within ASN’s organizational framework for the journal, the ASN Bylaws, the Publications Committee charges, and other management and policy documents
- Maintain regular communications with Publisher to ensure the timely and accurate publication of articles and issues
- Advance efforts to promote the journal and its content to increase interest, engagement, submissions, and readership among the global medical-scientific community
- Prepare and submit a yearly report of journal activities to the Publications Committee and the Board of Directors
- PhD, MD/PhD or equivalent
- Broad perspective of the nutrition science field and attuned to emerging areas of research and practice
- High level of visibility and recognized leadership in rigorous nutrition science research and scholarly publication
- Extensive experience in scholarly publishing
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Record of successful collaboration and innovation with a wide range of stakeholders
- Proven capabilities in team building and group project development and execution
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically and creatively
- Record of transparency with respect to disclosure of funding sources and potential conflicts of interest
- Able to meet the time and other demands of the Editor-in-Chief position
- ASN membership preferred
The ASN Board of Directors appoints Editors-in-Chief and reviews and approves nominations for Associate Editors and other members of the Editorial Boards. The Board also designates management policies for the official scientific publications of the Society.
The Editor-in Chief is independently responsible for the scientific integrity of the journal and controls editorial matters and scientific content.
ASN’s Publication Committee performs mid-term reviews of all Editors-in-Chief prior to the renewal of their second five-year appointment.
American Society for Nutrition is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.