ASN and the ASNF relies on annual contributions to achieve its mission: to develop and extend knowledge of nutrition, in order to improve public health and clinical practice.
Support a Program
When you submit a donation, you can dedicate your support to specific programmatic areas like those listed below. Please email us if you would like to contribute to a specific program that is not featured (for example, we can facilitate donations in support of specific ASN Research Interest Sections).
- The Gilbert A. Leveille Lectureship and Award The nutrition community lost a legend with the recent passing of Dr. Gilbert Leveille. The ASN Foundation is seeking memorial contributions to help fully endow this prestigious lectureship and award to ensure his legacy lives on in perpetuity. Please consider a charitable donation to this fund in Dr. Leveille’s honor. This award recognizes outstanding research in nutrition science and food technology. Established to honor esteemed scientist Gilbert Leveille, this award was created in 2009 and it co-administered by ASN and IFT.
- Activities of the ASN Foundation (where most needed)
General donations that will be designated for use by ASN Foundation.
- Young Investigator Pilot Grants Fund (Launched in 2018)
Annual research grants for preliminary or pilot phases of young investigators’ research projects will be available through this new fund. Donations will support their efforts to address focused research questions, obtain preliminary data to support larger grant proposals in the future, and develop a line of research that can be carried forward into an academic career.
- Friends of ASN Fellows Tribute Fund (to foster the next generation of scientists)
Established in 2017 at the request of ASN members, this fund is a way to make tribute gifts in honor of luminaries in the nutrition field who have passed. Donations support awards and scholarships for young investigators at ASN’s annual meetings. ASN members and friends of Society are invited to make a contribution in honor of these preeminent leaders, researchers, clinicians and educators in our field.
- Marian Swendseid Nutrition and Cancer Scholarship Fund
This fund was developed in honor of the late Dr. Marian Swendseid, a professor emerita at the UCLA Fielding School of Public Health and internationally renowned expert in the field of nutrition. The Scholarship Fund is designed to accept donations in support of students or investigators who are focused on nutrition and cancer prevention.
- Nevin Scrimshaw Mid-Career Award Endowment Fund
ASN’s Global Nutrition Council established this fund in 2017 to support an annual mid-career award to recognize and reward individuals who are doing innovative work to advance the field. This award is named in honor of Dr. Scrimshaw’s extraordinary career dedicated to the alleviation of hunger and malnutrition. This was partially funded through a generous donation by the Sight and Life Foundation, however additional matching donations are needed to complete the establishment of the Endowment.
- Programs for Minority Investigators and Students
Donations helps support the development and execution of programs for minority investigators and students including the annual “Young Minority Oral Investigator Competition” held at ASN’s annual conference.
- Dennis Bier, MD Fund Donations to this fund supports the Dennis Bier, MD Young Career Editor Position, honoring Dr. Bier for his many years of service as Editor of The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN). Dr. Kevin Klatt was selected as the inaugural AJCN Young Career Editor last year and in this role is working to broaden AJCN’s public voice continuing its tradition of innovation and excellence in science publishing, while promoting and expanding journal content to target audiences, from technical experts to the general public.
Note: Donations are considered temporarily restricted until funds reach $100,000, at which time the funds are fully endowed.
Honor Someone Special
Tribute gifts: Honor a mentor, express your gratitude, or offer your congratulations. Complete the “in honor of” field on the donation form, and let us know to whom the gift acknowledgment should be sent.
Memorial gifts: Remember a colleague, or send your condolences to family members. Complete the “in memory of” field on the donation form, and let us know to whom the memorial acknowledgment should be sent.
Additionally, we can establish ASNF named accounts to honor preeminent leaders, researchers, clinicians, or educators. Please contact Keith Dillon if you would like more information about a memorial fund.
How to Donate
Members, please log in prior to donating so that we may credit your membership account appropriately. Members can also donate to ASN when renewing their membership. If you need help using the online form, please call (240) 428-3650.
If you prefer to send a donation by mail or fax, please use this Foundation Donation Form.
Federal employees can donate to ASN through the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) (number 36770).
In addition, please consider remembering ASN in your estate planning. Planned giving options include bequests, beneficiary arrangements and more.
Please contact ASN Foundation Vice President Keith Dillon. (240) 428-3601 with any questions.
Guiding Principles for Working with External Groups and Addressing Conflicts of Interest
Learn how ASN partners with industry, trade organizations, government agencies, foundations, individuals and other scientific and medical groups to further the Society’s mission. Download ASN’s Guiding Principles document here.