September 29, 2021
1 PM – 2:30 PM EST
Many children in the US are impacted by the nutrition and feeding programs authorized by Congress and carried out by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. During its process of periodically reauthorizing these programs, Congress reviews and updates the laws that govern the programs which include school lunch and breakfast, summer meals, after-school meals, and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). The reauthorization cycle is taking place now, and input to lawmakers from ASN and its members can help to shape the new provisions. ASN members conduct research targeting our nation’s youth which, in turn, can inform policies related to child nutrition, and provisions incorporated by the reauthorization process can support and guide these activities. This webinar will outline the process of Child Nutrition Reauthorization, and then address opportunities and issues for enhancing the programs from the perspective of nutrition and nutrition policy. Relevant considerations include research activities, data gathering, surveillance and meal standards. This webinar is part of the CASP Nutrition Policy Webinar series, designed to help ASN members better understand the interface between research and nutrition policy.
Read our latest blog post authored by ASN Science Policy Fellows, Heather Schier and Jessica Garay, PhD, RD, on Child Nutrition Reauthorization.
By the end of this webinar, attendees will be able to:
(1) Increase knowledge of the Child Nutrition Reauthorization process and its relevance to nutrition policy.
(2) Identify pending issues within national child nutrition programs.
(3) Contemplate possible new provisions for research, monitoring, evaluation, meal standards, and implementation of national child nutrition programs to be included in the new CNR.
- Nancy Chapman, MPH, RD, N. Chapman Associates
- Juliana Cohen, ScM, ScD, Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Angela Odoms-Young, PhD, Cornell University
- Elizabeth Racine, DrPH, RD, University of North Carolina at Charlotte
- Christine Taylor, PhD, ASN Committee on Advocacy and Science Policy (CASP) Chair
If claiming CPE Credit for attending the live or the recorded event, you must complete the correct evaluation survey.
Access to the live event’s evaluation survey will be available after the live event.
Access to the recorded event and the evaluation survey for it will be available after the live event.
Continuing Professional Education
ASN designates this educational activity for a maximum of 1.5 CPEUs. Dietitians and dietetic technicians registered should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ASN (Provider #NS010) is accredited and approved by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR) as a provider of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) programs for Registered Dietitians.
If you are seeking Continuing Professional Education credit and have feedback about this activity, please send comments to QualityCPE@eatright.org.
CPE Level 2
Performance Indicators/Learning Objectives
To be announced
Activity Type: 171 Live Webinars and Teleseminars
Activity Number: To be announced
Activity Type: Recorded pre-approved CPE Activity: 175 Lectures/Webinars
Activity Number: To be announced