- The inaugural Young Career Editor will help shape and define this new position to promote and expand journal content to target audiences, from technical experts to the general public. Ultimately, this person will help The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (AJCN) broaden its public voice, continuing its tradition of innovation and excellence in science publishing.
- Lead activities to increase social media engagement around ASN journals. Other potential activities include blog posts; online journal club for graduate/medical students; video creation; podcasts; etc.
- Provide support for content creation for Twitter feed, @jnutritionorg
- Assist with journal editorial processes, including acting as a peer review/editor
- A junior faculty/early career professional (within 5 years of terminal degree)
- Demonstrated experience in nutrition research and publishing
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience in science communications
- Experience writing for social media channels, (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to craft and create visual media a plus
- A passion for communicating nutrition science and an ability to innovate and think creatively
Compensation & Term
- $2,500 annual stipend
- Up to $1,500 annually to support travel/registration to ASN annual NUTRITION meeting
- Reimbursement for travel and accommodations to the AJCN Editorial Office (Boston) for a one-week training with senior editors
- Term: June 2020 – May 2022
- A statement of interest that includes applicant’s goals for the position and experience publishing and promoting nutrition science (750-word limit)
- A curriculum vitae
- Two letters of recommendation
- An example of a work product such as a blog post, social media post, other writing job, infographic, other visual arts project, video, etc. [Note: All uploads to the submission site must be PDF documents. If you are highlighting a video or podcast in your nomination, please provide a brief description of the work product and link(s).]
Submission site opens: January 6, 2020
Deadline for submissions: March 1, 2020
CLICK HERE to download the full list eligibility and guidelines.
The Dennis Bier, MD Young Career Editor position was established through generous contributions from Ajinomoto Health & Nutrition North America, Inc., Pfizer Inc and individual ASN members.