ASN continues our 90-year tradition of editorial leadership with the selection of Oxford University Press to provide core publishing services for the Nutrition Science Collection
Announcing ASN’s Publication Agreement with Oxford University Press
Starting in January 2018 ASN has contracted with Oxford University Press to manage the production and distribution of The Journal of Nutrition, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Advances in Nutrition, and Current Developments in Nutrition. OUP will also provide copy editing, sales, and marketing support.
As the journals’ sole owner, ASN will continue to maintain complete editorial control over all Nutrition Science Collection journals, including peer review workflows. ASN also retains copyrights and makes all decisions on content reuse and licensing, as well as all pricing.
We expect our partnership with OUP to provide valuable benefits and no disruption in services to any of our journals’ subscribers or contributors. The following Q&A anticipates some common questions about the agreement. ASN will update this page as more questions come in.
Oxford University Press’ Editorial Empowerment Tools
Our new partners, Oxford University Press, are dedicated to working synergistically with our editorial teams to provide insight and tools that will empower them to make informed decisions about our journals’ strategic development. Our editors will have a custom suite of bibliometric and market analytics tools – as well as OUP’s vast publishing experience – at their disposal, giving them maximum visibility of the current research landscape and empowering them to better attract and select the most impactful papers for publication.
Our partnership with OUP will provide a number of services to empower ASN’s editors, including:
- Regular strategic communication with OUP’s publishing experts dedicated to working in collaboration with ASN society leadership and editorial staff to support them in evaluating the performance of the journals and clarifying future development goals.
- Custom editorial analysis, affording our editorial teams greater insight into the contributions of our published research. In-depth reporting on bibliometric data, usage, overall performance, and key competitors will allow our editors to identify current and emerging areas of impact in which to attract new research.
- Geographical analysis, informing our editors of research groups publishing quality content in international and emerging markets that can be approached for future submissions.
- Access to Altmetric Explorer, a powerful tool for measuring conversations surrounding published research across dozens of platforms, including news media, social media, blogs, policy documents, and more, allowing greater insight into the global impact of our publications.
- Direct author outreach developed by OUP’s dedicated marketing staff to expand the visibility of ASN research into new audiences and reinforce the journals’ profile among existing author groups. Targeted campaigns to new and existing markets will support the growth of high-quality submissions.
- Custom promotional materials for our editors, equipping them with the tools they need to provide actionable information to potential authors at events and conferences.
- Oxford Journals Day, an annual journals publishing event hosted by OUP for society partners, and featuring sessions with thought leaders from OUP and the publishing industry. The event gives editors and society leaders the opportunity to come together with publishing experts to discuss emerging trends in the industry and collaborate on new strategies for growth.
This suite of tools, paired with OUP’s vast experience in successfully supporting editorial teams, will allow ASN journals to attract and select the best papers, keeping us at the forefront of nutrition research publishing.
What will change about the ASN publications program?
1- No changes to journal ownership or editorial policies:
As announced recently, ASN has entered into an agreement with Oxford University Press (OUP) for the provision of production, sales and marketing services for ASN journals effective January 1, 2018. While this agreement will add considerable resources and expertise to the ASN publications program, and will include changes to the online hosting platform and manuscript submission system, it will not impact ASN’s ownership of the journals or ASN’s control over all decisions affecting ASN journals. ASN will continue to set policies that govern access to content, subscription pricing, and editorial appointments, for example. Similarly, the agreement with OUP will not impact editorial policies or publication decision criteria, which remain the sole purview of journal editors.
2- New manuscript submission system:
As indicated above, the partnership with OUP will involve the implementation of a new manuscript submission system for ASN journals. The Editorial Manager online manuscript submission system is being provided to ASN as part of the agreement and will be launched for ASN journals in the first quarter of 2018. Editorial Manager is a flexible, tailorable software program that provides the most current functionality and user-friendly features that can be found among leading peer review systems. The system includes an author-friendly submission site, a robust reporting functionality, automatic reminders, and an interface that allows authors to track the overall progress of their submission through the review process. When launched in 2018, all new manuscripts will be submitted using the Editorial Manager site. Manuscripts submitted before the Editorial Manager launch will continue to be processed in the BenchPress manuscript submission site, until a final publication decision is made. ASN will transfer all user records from BenchPress to Editorial Manager before the launch of the new site, but users might need to create a new login when using the new system for the first time.
3- New Online Platform for Journal Content
The Oxford Academic Platform
In January of this year, our new partners, Oxford University Press, launched their next generation online platform for hosting journal content. This new chapter in OUP and ASN’s digital story is led by a global OUP team working with award-wining technology provider Silverchair Information Systems. The platform is informed by user analytics and market research, as well as our unique research needs, and is continuously updated, keeping it current with the latest technologies.
This change means that all our journal webpages will be delivered on this brand new platform. Readers will see journal pages in a modern, clean interface, with many exciting new features.
A few of these include:
- Responsive web design on all pages and articles automatically optimizing display for a first-class user experience. This means a superb reading experience on whatever device you are using, be that mobile, tablet, or desktop.
- Dynamic panels that automatically pull in and display journal content, like most read, most cited, and latest articles. These allow you to identify leading research as quickly as possible.
- Sophisticated search and cross-linking, aiding navigation to and between the ASN journals. This lets you search across our journals in a quick search bar on every page, and will allow you to broaden your searches at any time. Searches can be filtered by article type, topic, availability, multimedia, and author to speed your research
- Robust search engine optimization (SEO): Our new sites, and your research, will be more discoverable than ever, and highly visible in all major web search engines.
- Reader Recommendations: Using semantic enrichment technology, readers of articles will be recommended related articles, guiding and aiding your research journey
- Video: the new sites are able to feature in-article videos and more multimedia options, and we’ll be encouraging the submission of more video content.
- Article metrics, including citations, usage, and Altmetrics, will enable you to understand how your research is being read, cited, and shared, and are displayed on every article page.
- Linked references ensure you don’t hit dead ends in the course of your research. References link directly to Google Scholar, PubMed, and more services.
- Easy access for members continues from within the ASN member dashboard.
This suite of core features, paired with intuitive navigation based on user research and a regular development process incorporating new technologies, will allow ASN’s journals to stay at the cutting edge of publishing, enhancing and simplifying your research journey.
Information for Librarians
Q: When will OUP begin managing sales and distribution of the Nutrition Science Collection?
A: On January 1, 2018 OUP will begin supporting all journals, including The Journal of Nutrition, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Advances in Nutrition, and Current Developments in Nutrition.
Q: Will my point of contact change for Nutrition Science Collection information on subscriptions and access?
A: The OUP Library Marketing Team will handle general inquiries as well as subscription, renewal, licensing, and access management beginning in January 2018. The team will directly contact all institutional subscribers to provide details beginning in October 2017. The ASN team will continue to support librarians during the transition process.
Q: Will COUNTER statistics become available for the Nutrition Science Collection?
A: Beginning in 2018 COUNTER-compliant usage statistics reported by Scholarly IQ will be available for all journals
Information for Authors
Q: How will ASN’s agreement with OUP affect the submissions process?
A: All ASN journals will transition to the Editorial Manager system for article submissions in early 2018. This well-known platform will help to speed up reviewers’ responses and the overall publishing process while providing authors with updates on articles’ progress and status. Additionally all journals will adopt a continuous publishing model [in 2018] to further accelerate online publication of accepted articles.
Q: Will the OUP agreement affect readership and citations of articles in ASN publications?
A: OUP offers deep experience and dedicated resources to increase articles’ discoverability, develop wider readership, and generate more citations for accepted work in ASN journals. We expect our authors to continue to benefit from rising impact factors and profiles as OUP supports the Nutrition Science Collection.
Information for Readers
Q: Will ASN’s relationship with OUP affect my subscription?
A: Neither ASN members nor non-member subscribers will see changes in individual subscription pricing to any of the journals in the Nutrition Science Collection.
Q: Will the journals’ formatting or online display change?
A: OUP’s platform will help ASN continue to improve articles’ readability, graphic presentations, and video streaming on a wider array of screen sizes and mobile devices.
Q: How will I access journal content on the Oxford Academic platform?
A: There are several ways to access journal content on the new platform. Members will continue to log in through ASN’s member dashboard and gain access to the journals as they do now. Readers who gain access through their institution’s subscription will see no change in how they access ASN journals. Individual subscribers with a username and password for the current journal sites will receive an email notification with instructions on how to gain access on the new platform.